Our projects are fun AND help the environment! All projects require adult supervision so ask a grown-up to help you out.
Recycled Checkers Game
Make a checkerboard from a recycled piece of cardboard and some bottle caps in just a few minutes!
What You Need:
- 8-inch-square piece of cardboard
- Black permanent marker and paint
- 24 bottle caps or milk lids
What You Do:
- Make small tick marks using a ruler and pencil, every inch along all four edges of the 8-inch-square piece of cardboard.
- Draw horizontal and vertical lines across the piece of cardboard connecting corresponding tick marks on opposing sides—this creates an 8-by-8 grid made up of 64 1-inch squares in the board.
- Color in every other square with your black permanent marker in the row closest to you on the board. Start by coloring the square farthest to the left and work your way to the right.
- Color in every other square in the next row starting with the square farthest to your right and work your way left. Continue this alternating pattern until the entire board is colored in.
- Next, take 12 bottle caps and paint the tops of them black.
You are now ready to play a game of checkers on your recycled checkerboard.